Question
Posted by: Carol | 2010-11-23

Weight of 5½  year old son

My son who is 5½  weighs 25kg and is 112cm tall. He has always been a " stocky"  not fat boy but do you think I should be a bit concerned about his weight. I was reading on your website that 6 year old boys should weigh about 20kg.

Dear Carol
The average weight for 6-year-old boys is 20 kg and the average height is 1.12 m, so your lad who is 5,5 years old does seem to have a weight problem. After the age of 5 years one can also use the BMI to assess if a child is overweight or not. The cut-off point for overweight in boys of 6 years is a BMI = 17,55 and for obesity it is 19,78. I would, therefore, surmise that your son is overweight. To clarify his situation and also assist him with an appropriate diet for a growing boy, I would urge you to consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).
In addition daily aerobic exercise like jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming or participation in a very active sport should be used to ensure that your lad is as active as possible. Experts agree that increased physical activity is important to help children to lose weight.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-11-23

Dear Carol