Question
Posted by: Heels | 2011/09/13

Weight not budging

I have cut out bread from my diet and am trying to eat according to the low-gi principles. I have also reduced portion sizes as I am trying to lose at least 20kgs. However I find that I cannot progres beyond day 2 - I find that the food I eat is not filling and I''m constantly hungry. This morning for instance I had 1 cup rooibos with brown sugar, 3 provitas and 2 boiled eggs. I stll feel hungry and am tempted to eat some more. Afternoons are a problem - I can hardly keep my eyes open after 2pm, I just feel like dozing off. What could be the problem?I also find that I''m also actually not losing any weight at all :-(

Dear Heels
There is no need to cut out bread when you go on a slimming diet and/or use a low-GI diet. If you use low-GI bread (buy at supermarkets), you will be less likely to get hungry, just don't add lashings of butter, margarine, mayonnaise, or other fatty spreads to the bread - just use a scraping of poly- or monounsaturated margarine on the bread. If you are struggling to apply the low-GI principles which can be difficult at first, then please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to assess your condition and help you to get used to this type of diet. Also click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Combine the diet with aerobic exercise such as brisk walking, cycling, skipping, Walk for Life, or joining a gym. You would need to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day to stimulate your metabolism.
In view of the fact that you say that you need to lose at least 20 kg (which is a lot of weight to lose), please see a dietitian ASAP.
Hang in there

1

Dear Heels
Hang in there