Question
Posted by: Ria | 2012-11-22

weight loss without excersizing

My partner is very obese and i want to try and help him to loose weight but he is lazy to go for gym.And that affects our bedroom very bad.he was thinking of a certain operation that we dont know but have seen it once in a television where they opne the bottom part of the belly and use machines to take fat out of the body.It might be expensive though he does not have a problem to pay as he is ready to save the relationship that is gradually sinking down.

Please help me with the contacts of the people you know can be able to help him and advise further on how to loose weight without excersing as that is highly impossible to me

I am sorry to hear that your partner's obesity is causing such problems. I am not sure which operation you are referring to, but if fat was being pumped out of the body in the TV programme, this may have been a procedure called liposuction. You can contact most plastic surgeons for details about liposuction (i.e. how much it costs, what side-effects there are and how much fat they can actually remove with this process). Ask your gp to refer you to a plastic surgeon. You may find that the amount of fat that can be removed with liposuction is not sufficient for a patient with severe obesity, so in such a case, bariatric surgery where part of the digestive tract (stomach or intestine) is bypassed to reduce the absorption of food, may be more effective. Contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option. Such Centres of Excellence may well offer both liposuction and bariatric surgery so that you can compare the 2 options.
I do hope you will be able to get help for your partner.

1
Posted by: Fiona | 2012-11-26

Hi there,

I work for a plastic surgeon and can tell you that an obese person is NOT a candidate for cosmetic surgeon and no self respecting surgeon will touch him. Even if they do, they will suck no more than 3 litres of liquid out, which may amount to a total of about 1.5kgs of fat only- it will barely make a difference and will not be worth the costs.

Surgery should always be a LAST resort, and quite frankly if he is too lazy to exercise he WILL be wasting his money because in time he will just become obese again. The two main factors that affect your weight is diet and exercise, and if he does not put in the effort then surgery is a waste of time.

Having a gastric bypass will help to an extent, because obviously he will have to watch what he eats, but exercise is such an important part of effective and correct weight loss.

Reply to Fiona