Question
Posted by: christine | 2010-10-22

Weight loss with underactive Thyroid

I lost my mother and my teenage daugther in a terrible car accident early this year. According to my doctor, the trauma caused my Thyroid to become underactive. SInce then I have gained 12kg and I cannot seem to stop the weight gain. What can I do to lose the weight and still eat healthy foods.

Dear Christine
I am so sorry to hear about the dreadful losses you have suffered this year when both your mother and teenage daughter were involved in a car accident. I trust that the doctor you consulted has provided you with thyroid replacement hormone therapy (e.g. Eltroxin, Digoxin, etc) and that you have regular tests done to see if the therapy is working adequately? If not, please consult the dr again and ask him/her if the replacement therapy is adequate or not. Your dosage may need adjusting. Depression is also a prime cause of pronounced weight gain and can prevent weightloss. It would be natural for you to suffer from depression after the tragic losses you have experienced. Have you had any trauma counselling from a clinical psychologist? This may be an essential part of your recovery, so if you have not consulted a clinical psychologist I would recommend that you do see a psychologist so that you can eliminate depression as a cause of your weight gain. From a dietary point of view I would recommend that you use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day. Exercise not only promotes weightloss, but it also lifts the mood which is important if you are feeling down and blue.
I do hope you will start losing weight now.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-22

Dear Christine