Question
Posted by: portia | 2012/05/30

weight loss while breastfeeding

hi Doc

i am mother to a 5 month old breastfed baby, he''s not on solids yet and suplpements his milk with formula (novalac). I desperately want to loose weight as ai cannot fit into anything, gym is out because after work i ned to rush home to to him.
i started a diet 2 days ago which is killing me, i eat 3 slices of pineaple and fat free yoghurt for breakfast, 1 slice of whole wheat toast with lettuce and tomato for lunch and lean chicken breast and 100g odf mixed vege for supper, my head is spinning all day. is this not too hectic especially since i am breastfeeding iwouldn''t want to interfere with my baby''s milk supply. Can you recommend a diet for me?

Dear Portia
Congratulations on the birth of your baby. If you are breastfeeding, which is one of the most valuable gifts you can give your new baby to protect him or her against a variety of diseases and future obesity, then you should be eating a balanced diet, that includes all the food groups and sufficient kJ so that you don't faint! The reason for this is that a balanced diet provides all the vitamins, minerals and other essential nutrients that you and your baby need. Baby to grow and develop, and for you so that you don't develop deficiencies of nutrients like calcium. Please reconsider the use of this unbalanced and minimalistic diet and rather opt for a moderately energy-reduced, balanced diet instead. Try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), to which you need to add 2 extra servings of low-fat or fat-free milk or yoghurt a day to provide the 1500 mg of calcium you and baby require. You don't need to go the gym, but give some thought to dong some type of exercise such as going for walks or starting to skip for 10 min a day (wear a supportive bra). Exercise stimulates your metabolism, prevents post-natal depression and promotes weightloss. Just don't overdo the exercise sessions to such an extent that your milk dries up. The use of the low-fat diet and regular exercise should result in a loss of between 0,5 and 1 kg of weight per week.
Enjoy the baby

5
Posted by: portia | 2012/05/31

thank you doc

Makayla i''m done with this diet and opting for the slimming diet.its too much i will add more fruits to my diet , thank u so much.

Reply to portia
Posted by: Makayla | 2012/05/30

Hi Portia, TLC is a very strict diet according to your blood and hormone levels which you get done as a blood test and then they design your diet from that. but the basics are pretty general for everyboday. its only about 1200 calories a day which is far too little for a breast feeding mom so i''m eating the same foods but not weighing them like you''re supposed to. will let you know how it goes when i weigh myself on Monday :)

what diet are you following? I deff think you need to add some more crackers or provitas and fruit to your diet. also are you drinking sugar in your coffee/tea. try to cut out sugar and margarine. only use about 1tbs of lite mayo or 1tsp of olive oil for you daily fats :) and don''t have more than about 70g of low fat cheese (mozerella) as a protein per day. you are also allowed about a half a big avo - that is counted as one of your fruits :)

Reply to Makayla
Posted by: portia | 2012/05/30

thanks Makayla, well according to this diet i''m not allowed to any other serving of fruit, this is for the first week.
what is TLC though?

i am very sure ineed to add more to my daily intake if i am to finish the 5 week course.

i appareciate your reply, thought i was going mad and want to stop.

Reply to portia
Posted by: Makayla | 2012/05/30

HI Portia, aren''t you eating fruit for snacks? you should have 2 fruits a day as a healthy snack, i learnt that from TLC and i lost 15kgs with them so i deff trust them! I" m also trying to lose 10kgs after pregnancy and i''m also breastfeeding. Also consider adding 2 or 3 provitas to your yoghurt. Pineapple is high in sugar and weren''t allowed on the diet so if i were you i would rather eat an apple sliced up. Snackbread is better than bread too, also found as soon as i added bread to my diet that i picked up. but that''s just me. good luck :)

Reply to Makayla

Dear Portia
Enjoy the baby