Question
Posted by: Rene | 2009-01-09

Weight loss - rheumatoid &  fybromyalgia

Please help me. I am a mother, 48years old, of 4 children(20, 18, 15 and 13)I want to loose weight but also eat healthy - healthy life style. I have rheumatoid arthritis &  fybromyalgia. Can you please help me and tell me what to eat and which food I may not eat.
Where can I get a docter, or mayby a support group who understands fybromyalgia.
I am on chronic medicine for rheumatoid arthritis.The whole issue has a big impact on my work and family.Thank you

Dear Rene
Wishing you all the best for 2009. I am sorry to hear that you suffer from fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as these are difficult conditions to treat and both of them and/or the medications can hamper your weightloss. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet for you that promotes weightloss, but take your medical conditions and your chronic medications into account. Discuss what type of exercise you could do with the dr who is treating you for the arthritis because you may be able to participate in certain types of exercise that do not affect your conditions, but will still help with the weightloss.