Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/09/02

Weight loss retention

I''ve recently lost a lot of weight, 40 kg to be exact. But i find myself slipping a bit and eating more than I should,I also seam to be eating more when I have my cheat meals and it is concerning. You have probably heard this a lot and I know a lot of people who lost weight but regained it afterwards. I still follow a balnced diet but like I said the cravings for unhealthy food are strong.Do you have any advice that can help me get back in that mindset of eating properly because through this whole process,I have realised how strong ones mind is.?

Dear Weight Loss Retention
Firstly congratulations on losing 40 kg - you are a bright, shining ***star***! Now that you have put in such an amazing effort to lose those 40 kg, you don't want to regain even 1 kg. I don't know if you use exercise to help you lose the weight? If so, make sure that you stick to your exercise routine very carefully because research has shown that people who exercise while losing weight, stick to their diets more carefully than those who don't and the same applies to weight maintenance. I heard that the winner of the Biggest Loser SA, said that she concentrated on her exercise schedule to prevent herself from slipping back into bad habits and to keep her weight down and her shape intact. Then every time you have one of those cravings for high-kJ, fatty or sugary food or cold drinks, look at a picture of what you used to look like. Keep such a photo in your handbag, on the fridge, etc, to remind you what you have achieved and what you could lose. Have a low-fat snack like fat-free cottage cheese with ProVita or vegetable sticks or drink a cup of tea without sugar. Anything to get your mind off the unhealthy food. Also develop a mantra for yourself such as "I will not go back to being fat. I will maintain and not gain." which you can repeat every time the temptations arise. This is similar to the mantra "Every day and in every way I am getting better and better", which is a form of self-motivation. Repeat this often enough to take control of your mind again.
Keep up the good work

2

I do train yes,thanks for the advice,it makes a lot of sense.

Dear Weight Loss Retention
Keep up the good work