Question
Posted by: Liezel | 2010/10/28

Weight loss problem

I have put on about 5kgs in the last two years. I have been trying to lose this for the last year. I have consulted a dietician and I am following a healthy diet. Typical day is oats, protein shake, chicken salad with 1 slice low gi bread, banana (snack) &  lean protein with veg and 1 carb for dinner, including 2 healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, avo) My BMI is 23.3. I exercise 4 days per week (1 x running 40 mins, 3 times circuit at gym with a trainer).
My problem is with all this I have not lost any weight, although I have firmed up &  only lost 1 % body fat.
I don''t know what to do to get my body to cooperate! I was taking anti depressants for five years and stopped about 15 months ago.
Please help - I don''t know what to do to get my body to cooperate!

Dear Liezel
I can understand your frustration because you have done and are doing everything possible to lose weight in a safe and sensible way and yet your body is refusing to shed those last 5 kg. Your BMI of 23.3 is of course already excellent and so close to the ideal of 22 that you may find that if you stick to your diet and exercise and stop stressing and releasing a hormone called cortisol that you will actually lose those 5 kg. Cortisol can have a negative impact on weightloss and also cause water retention, so do deep breathing exercises, relax your mind and body and let yourself be 'surprised' when the weightloss actually occurs. It's worth a try.

1

Dear Liezel