Question
Posted by: Kate | 2010-02-06

weight loss plateau

Hi, I just started dieting for about 3 weeks, and the weight loss happened only on the first week. No matter how little I ate or how vigorous the exercise, the weight won' t budge for 2 weeks. Help?

Dear Kate
There are many factors that can play a role in weightloss. You don't mention your present weight in kg and height in metres so that I can calculate your BMI to see if your weight is already within the normal range which would slow down weightloss. Then you may be eating so little that your body has shut down its weightloss mechanisms? I can only suggest that if your weight is already close to normal that you use an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and continue with regular exercise. If you are very overweight then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to assess what is preventing you from losing weight.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-06

Dear Kate