Posted by: Gloria | 2009-07-01

Weight loss on anti-depressants

Dear Doc, I used to be very thin with a fast metabolism. I.e. I could eat what I want. Since I' ve started taking quite high doses of psychiatric meds, my weight has increased terribly and I can' t seem to shake it off. I drink 120 mg of Cymbalta a day plus 200 mg lamictin and 5 mg Abilify. Do you have any suggestions of what I could do to lose some weight? Thanks.

Dear Gloria
I am sorry to hear that you have gained so much weight. Antidepressants/psychotropic medications can either cause weight gain or weightloss depending on the individual patient's reaction. In addition, depression on its own can also cause weight gain or weightloss. I checked the side-effects listed for the 3 medications you are using and only Cymbalata mentions weight effects and lists both weightloss or weight gain as possible side-effects. You should firstly discuss this weight gain with the dr who is treating your condition because he/she needs to determine the following: If it is your depression or one of the medications that is causing your weight gain and how this can be addressed. Try reducing your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day. Exercise not only assists with weightloss, but it also lifts the mood and makes you feel less depressed.
Holding thumbs
I would