Question
Posted by: Lady | 2012/01/12

Weight loss - Mirena

I have a BMI if 23, and had the Mirena inserted Jan 2011 after my baby was born. I''ve been trying to loose weight ever since and the weight just does not move.

I am 31 - and am quite clued up with calories etc. - been on various calorie restricting diets - any thing from 1400 calories to 1000 calories daily - drink my 2 litres of water daily - but I don''t lose weight! I even went to the doctor and he prescribed Duromine - which I used for 2 1/2 months, and only lost 3 kg''s - and when I stopped, gained it back on again.

I eat very healthy - rarely have take aways - have the occational glass of wine - but overall - when I follow a diet - I am very strict and I should be losing weight, but I am not!

Can a method of Birth Control be a reason for not losing weight - or a food intolerance - or any logical reason of why I cannot lose weight?

I keep my diets balanced - refuse to cut any groups e.g. carbs from it - and looks the same as a diet from a nutritionist would prescribe.

Please can you assist?

A BMI of 23 is normal, so you should not expect to lose weight with a normal diet. There can be some fluid retention with the Mirena which can cause a few kg of weight, but this is not usually the case because the effect of the Mirena is largely local on the uterus.

1