Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2011-01-11

weight loss injections

My mom wants to loose weight.

She heard of a doctor who gives injections and a meal plan. He has had good results.

I am concerned about the injections. Should I be worried?

Dear Lynne
I too am worried about the injections. The injections either contain some harmless liquid that will not contribute to weightloss, or potentially harmful compounds. One of my other Readers once posted the package insert of weight loss injections that she had received to me, and it was frightening because the injections were under no circumstances intended for weight loss, but were designed for treatment of male fertility problems and were called "A.P.L.® Injection". The package insert stated specifically "APL has no known effect on fat mobilization, appetite or sense of hunger or body fat distribution. HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity." Thus it is senseless to get injected with unknown products. Usually the diet that is combined with injections, is a variation of the Atkins diet (high protein, high-fat, zero or very low carbs) which will initially make the patient lose weight (even without any injections), but the problems with this type of diet are: a) It is unbalanced and the high intake of fat is potentially harmful b)patients can develop side-effects like ketosis, bad breath, constipation, etc c) most patients regain the weight they have lost when they stop using this type of diet. Luckily most patients cannot adhere to such a high protein diet for long. I would rather encourage your Mom to use a balanced, energy-reduced diet (1500 cal or 6300 kJ/day) and daily exercise to lose weight safely and at a much lower cost.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-11

Dear Lynne