Posted by: Pregnant | 2009-06-30

Weight Loss in Pregnancy

I am currently pregnant with my third baby. I had a baby last year but due to complications he passed away. We wanted to try straight away again and as a result I did not lose any of the weight I' d gained with my last pregnancy. I joined Weigh Less and have lost 8kg so far and my gynae is happy. The problem is that I am now 22 weeks and it seems to have slowed down completely and I am even starting to pick up.
What am I doing wrong? I am still only eating the formula for the 1st trimester as the 2nd trimester plan allows more food but I didn' t want to slow down the weight loss. I am sometimes hungry but I don' t cheat and I' m trying so hard but it seems hopeless. Please help, I' m desperate!

Dear Pregnant
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dear baby. This must have been very traumatic for you and your husband. Please don't starve yourself in an attempt to lose more weight at this stage, you are already nearly in your 6th month and have almost completed your 2nd trimester. If you did not gain any weight this would indicate that your baby is not growing. Even women who start out their pregnancies with a high BMI should gain between 6 and 11,5 kg of weight during the 9 months of pregnancy. This is due to the developing baby and your growing placenta. Your requirements for nutrients also increase after the first trimester, which is by the Weigh Less plan makes special provision to provide you with more nutrients. Please don't starve this baby as his or her health and entire life is influenced by nutrition during pregnancy. So stop stressing about your weight, eat the prescribed food that Weigh Less recommends and relax so that your baby has the best chance in life.
Do everything in your power to ensure that this baby is well and healthy, and that includes eating the correct foods which are rich in nutrients like calcium, iron, zinc, folic acid, and other B vitamins, protein and omega-3 fatty acids.
I hope you have a wonderful healthy baby.