Question
Posted by: Angie | 2011/04/07

Weight loss diet

Hi diet Doc,

I am looking for a reliable natural diet to help me lose weight. I do not want to take medication, but I would like some advice on what I should eat, what I should avoid. I am 40 years old. and am about 40kg''s over weight. I would like to combine this with exercise.
It is always so confusing with so many opinions, some say cut out carbs, some day cut out meat, others say reduce portion sizes and calories.

Please help me.

Dear Angie
I can understand that you feel confused because a new diet is launched practically every week and there a hundreds of diet products on the market, all promising quick fixes and instant success. I have always promoted the sensible approach of using a balanced diet that is moderately energy-reduced, low in fat and high in dietary fibre, but still contains all the food groups. If you combine this type of diet with regular exercise, you will start losing weight at a steady pace. You won't lose 10 kg in a week, but you will also not get cravings or all the side-effects linked to a zero-carb diet. You can try such a diet by clicking on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet, which you can use as a guideline. Combine the diet with the type of exercise that you can manage and stick to (for example going for brisk walks in the fresh air or cycling or joining Walk for Life). As you start losing and become fitter you can gradually increase how much exercise you do and how intensively you exercise. Losing 40 kg will take time and perseverance, but it can be done. A few years ago, the 3 top contestants on The Biggest Loser SA, each managed to lose more than 50 kg in a relatively short space of time. They worked hard, but it was worth it in the end. So why not try the sensible approach and take this journey one step at a time.

1

Dear Angie