Question
Posted by: Nat | 2012/08/16

Weight Loss - Caffiene

Hello Doc,

Well after many years of being in denial I have eventually taken ownership to the fact that I am overweight and have to make serious changes to my lifestyle.

I found on the web a 3 week menu plan (Abs Diet) and have been able to follow it very easily as I love how quick the meals are and it doesn''t exclude any food group. My calorie intake is between 1,450-1,580. I have now taken to gyming 5 times a week ( 5 x 20mins cardio + 3 x 30min resistance training).

I am 1.67m (female) and currently weighing 90kg. I have lost 3.2kg in the last 10 days although the last 4 days my weight has stayed the same. (??)

My question is the following:
1) I have to follow a eating plan 100% otherwise I regain old habits. The meal plan I am following says nothing about caffiene. Will a cup of coffee every other day interfere with weight loss (a dash of 1% milk and 2 tsp sugar) ?
2) I have also been diagnosed as being Insulin Resistance by one doctor and was put on Metformin but stopped last year. Another doctor did a gluocose fasting test and my results was in the fine/healthy reading. I am now taking Duromine 30mg (6th day). My mother and sister took it with great results and they changed nothing in their diets and did not exercise. Will this help with my weight loss ?? Cause since I started taking it my weight loss came to a halt ??
3) And must I see a registered dietician to loose weight if I do still have Insulin Resistance ? Won''t the fact that I am now excerising and cut out all " bad"  foods and generally following a low GI menu be enough and allow for me to lose weight ?

I thank you for taking the time in reading this and helping me. I am 100% set on getting healthy and appreciate your insight.

Dear Nat
I am glad that you are now 100% set on turning your life around by losing weight, eating correctly and doing regular exercise. Well done! To answer your questions: 1) I reckon you can have the coffee with a bit of 1% milk, but try and wean yourself of the sugar as each teaspoon contributes 81 kJ to your energy intake (2x teaspoon = 162 kJ). 2) It is difficult to judge if you have insulin resistance (IR) or not, because of the conflicting diagnoses that you have had. However, many patients find that they lose weight more successfully when they use a low-fat, low-GI diet, so please do see a registered dietitian if you find that you have problems with applying this diet (it is not as easy to apply as patients think and you may benefit from some assistance until you are 100% acquainted with the diet). 3) If you were losing weight successfully with your diet and exercise, there is no need to take Duromine unless you cannot control your appetite? So do try with diet and exercise on their own and avoid taking appetite suppressants if you don't need them.
I will hold thumbs that after so many years of being in denial you will now steadily lose weight and get fit.
Keep up the good work

1

Dear Nat
Keep up the good work