Question
Posted by: Tyla | 2012/08/17

Weight loss and Duromine

Morning DietDoc,

I am trying to lose weight (20 - 30kgs) current BMI 32.2 - goal BMI 21.5 and want to follow an eating plan that is manageable and allows me still to enjoy food.

This is what I have been doing the last 3 days with 2 days of gym (30 - 40min - mostly cardio - elipital trainer):

Tuesday: 1,472 calories
Breakfast: Eggs Beneficial Sandwich (1 yolk, 3 egg whites, 1 slice wholewheat bread, 1 slice weighless bacon, 1/2c orange juice), 1 cup fat-free milk
Snack #1: 1 teaspoon peanut butter, 1 bowl oatmeal or high-fiber cereal
Lunch: Salad: 2 ounces grilled chicken, 1 cup romaine lettuce, 1 tomato,1 small green bell pepper,1 medium carrot, Low Cal Salad dressing spray, 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
Snack #2: 3 slices deli turkey, 1 large orange
Dinner: 1/4 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, 1/4 can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate , 1/3 cloves garlic, 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves and 3 tablespoons chunky salsa
Snack #3: 1 ounce almonds, 1 c berries

Wednesday: 1,578 calories
Breakfast: One glass Strawberry Smoothie - 1/4c low fat yoghurt, 1/2c 1% milk, 1/3tsp peanut butter, 1/2 strawberries, 1/3 tsp whey powder and ice.
Snack #1: 1 ounce raisins
Lunch: 2 slices wholewheat bread, 1/2 tin tuna, 1/3 c avo, 1/3 Tsp low fat salad mayo.
Snack #2: 1 LF Melrose wedge, 4 Woolies wholewheat crackers.
Dinner: 3 ounces steak (no fat), 1/2 carrot, 1/4c brocolli, 3/4 tsp olive oil, 1/2c brown rice with lentils and 1Tsp Low sodium soya sauce.
Snack #3: 8 ounces Strawberry Smoothie

Thursday: 1,564 calories
Breakfast: 1 slice whole-grain bread with 1 teaspoon peanut butter, 1& #8260 2 cup Bran with 1 cup 1 percent or fat-free milk, 1 cup berries
Snack #1: 8 ounces low-fat yogurt, 1 can (10 Fruit) Juice bought at Pick n Pay
Lunch: 1 large wholewheat tortilla, 2 slices weighless bacon, 2 ounces chicken, lettuce and tomato, 1tsp LF mayo
Snack #2: 3 slices lean deli roast beef, 1 large orange
Dinner: 2 slices wholewheat bread, 1/8c LF cheddar cheese, 1/2 green pepper, 1/4 onion, 1/4c salsa, 50g turkey and a protein shake.
Snack #3: 1c Berry smoothie

This is my second week of this type of eating plan. The first 4 days I lost 3kgs. Then I started taking 30mg Duromine and since then have stopped losing weight. I drink my 6-8 glasses water.

I am becoming very despondent as this week I gained 300g then lost it the following day and this morning I picked up 200g again. My husband has been following the same and I have just increased his protein intake and he has lost 2kg this week.

What am I doing wrong ???? Do I stop taking the meds ???

Dear Tyla
It is very important not to immediately go into a flat spin if you don't lose weight at the same pace every week when you are slimming. And NEVER compare your weightloss as a woman with that of a man. If you click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Weight loss' you will be able to read up about the differences in weightloss depending on gender. Men generally lose much more weight and at a faster rate than women - unfair, but true. The diet you describe is perfectly reasonable and relatively well balanced and it should cause a weightloss of 0,5 g per week ON AVERAGE. So please stop stressing, as stress releases hormones like cortisol which cause weight to increase due to water retention. Relax, stick to your diet, do your exercise, stop taking Duromine and be patient, and you will start losing weight again.
Hang in there, you did not gain the weight in 7 days, so your body needs time to adjust and will reward you if you remain consistent.

1

Dear Tyla