Posted by: Jamie | 2009-01-11

Weight Loss &  Meal Plan

I' m working with a team of experts - a GP, psychologist, psychiatrist &  a dietician as I' m recovering from anorexia. It' s been a battle but the meal plan that my dietician gave to me is designed to help me gain weight (muscle). I eat 5 times a day but I' ve started cutting down on some of the carbs and I' ve lost 2 kilos in the last week. I' m a little nervous now because I fear a full-on relapse.

I' m now 51kg and 1.7m. I' ve been on the meal plan for over a month and still haven' t gained anything. I' ve been going to gym 3-5 times a week doing 20mins cardio &  20mins weights. I thought that I' d at least gain some muscle. Do you think my metabolism has increased? I' m afraid to adjust the meal plan because if I can' t get to the gym it' s going to mess with what I' ve become comfortable with. I' m not quite sure what to say to my dietician.

Please advise.

Dear Jamie
You know full well that you are slipping back into the anorexia by cutting down on carbs and losing 2 kg in weight. At 51 kg your present BMI = 17,6 which is still far too low for safety. You will not gain muscle tissue if you cut out carbs (carbs have a protein-sparing effect and assist with muscle building which is why all the top athletes eat such large amounts of carbs) and until your weight is closer to normal. Your body is trying to recover at the moment from the stresses of starvation and will only build muscles when you have reached a normal weight (64 or more kg). What you need to tell all the members of your team, esp the dietitian and the psychologist, is that you are in danger of relapsing into anorexia and that you need them to assist you to get over this hurdle.
Don't mess with your diet and tell your team what is going on.