Question
Posted by: Meez | 2010/04/09

Weight loss after pregnancy (is it normal)?

I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy a yr ago, before i gave birth i was very over weight i remembered with my last pregnancy check up i weighed 93 kg then a month later after i gave birth i got onto a scale just to check my weight and it stopped at 70kg which means i lost 23 kg in 1 month is that normal? what could have caused me to loose so much weight?

Dear Meez
Congratulations on the birth of your baby boy. It is perfectly normal to lose large amounts of weight immediately after delivery and thereafter too. Some of the weight a mother gains during pregnancy is due to the following: a) The actual weight of the baby, b) The weight of the placenta and amniotic fluid, c) Any additional water stored in the body due to water retention caused by a variety of factors such as altered hormone levels and in some cases pre-eclampsia. Then if you breastfed your son, this can also contribute to weightloss. So be glad that you did lose those 23 kg by giving birth.
Enjoy your dear baby

1

Dear Meez
Enjoy your dear baby