Posted by: karin de jager | 2012-01-17

Weight loss after fitness

Dearest doc. I have been running 4km every day for 4months now, i have lost a total of 4kg just from runnng. now i would like to loose the last 4kg but im battling, is there any form of guidence you can give me regarding my excersise and nutrition. how can i lose the last kg or two around my midrif and overall body. I would like to have a very lean fisiek. thank you sooo much, cant wait for the reply.

Hi Karin

I think the key is that once you've come down (well done so far, by the way), you need to provide the next "kick" to drop further. So your 4km are likely taking 20 to 30 min, and you're probably burning 250 to 300 kCal during that session. Which is the reason, along with a good diet, for the weight loss in the first place.

However, you're now getting closer to your body's ideal weight and that means it becomes more difficult to lose the next 4kg. The solution is again diet and exercise, because you probably need to take that 250 kCal and increase it, which means running MORE - up to 6km, or 8km, maybe it would be a good idea to get a target like your first 10km run or something?

And then combined with this is diet - what you have been eating is clearly giving you less energy than what you were burning before, but if you're weight stable now, then it is back to balanced.

So you need to look at that diet, and see where you can reduce energy intake - smaller portions, less energy etc, and that will also help you kick on in the weight loss.

The best bet there is to see a dietician, even if it is just a once-off thing, to assess your current diet and give you some practical advice for future.