Question
Posted by: mommy weight | 2011/04/28

Weight loss after a baby

Hi Diet doc,
thanks so much for your wonderful advise and support. I had a little girl 14 months ago, and picked up a total of 20 kgs during my pregnancy. I lost 8 since the baby was born, due to baby, placenta etc etc and still struggling to loose the 12 kgs I need to to get back to my bmi of 22 (1.63 tall and weigh 72 kgs). I also gained 1kg during breastfeeding. Before I fell pregant I changed my diet and excercised 4 x a week and lost 25kgs so would really like to get back into my old clothes! I have kept mostly to the healthy diet and stick to my healthy eating, but struggle to do the excercise as often as I should. I sometimes make it to gym once or twice a week or walk with baby but it is not as regular as it shoudl be. As I have stuck mostly to a healthy diet, similar to what I was eating when I lost weight and during my pregnancy, and haven''t lost a gram, I was wondering is it common after pregnancies in some women to have a hormonal imbalance and struggle to loose weight or is that just a myth? Thanks and have a great day!
mommy

Dear Mommy
Thank you for your kind words, which make my day! Also congratulations on the birth of your daughter and that you breastfed her. The fact that you did manage to lose 25 kg before you fell pregnant is also most praiseworthy and this shows that before the pregnancy you did have to metabolic capacity to lose a great deal of weight. Yes, it is common for some women to gain a lot of weight during pregnancy and then to struggle to lose this weight afterwards. There are a variety of factors that can play a role when women struggle to lose weight after a pregnancy. In some cases, pregnancy can affect the thyroid gland and its production of thyroid hormone, or the pancreas and its production of insulin, or the female hormones which can also hamper weightloss. If you had a gynae overseeing your pregnancy, then it may be an idea to go back for a checkup and mention that you cannot lose those last 12 kg and ask if he/she can test to see if you do suffer from a hormonal imbalance. Another factor that is often overlooked, is post-partum depression which can cause problems with weightloss. If this is a possible factor, then please mention it when you visit the gynae. In the meanwhile, go back to eating the diet that helped you lose weight before the pregnancy and stick to it strictly. Also increase your exercise sessions to 4 x a week once more, because exercise is still the most valuable aid to stimulating a sluggish metabolism. Let's see what diagnosis the dr makes and what additional changes you can make to your lifestyle, if this should prove necessary.
Best regards and may you also have a good day

1

Dear Mommy