Question
Posted by: Wilma | 2013-01-16

weight loss

I have hypoglycemia and want to know if Tim Noakes''s advise will benifit me.

Dear Wilma
While the Noake's regimen of eating only proteins and fats will benefit patients with hypoglycaemia because high-protein and high-fat foods are all low GI, you will not be eating a balanced diet and may eventually find that you develop other complications associated with Atkins-type diets, such as deficiencies, lack of energy due to lack of fuel, increased blood fats, gout, constipation, and even a calcium deficiency. My advice would be to use a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet that contains foods from all the food groups, including low-GI carbohydrates spread over the day in 6 smaller meals. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. A low-fat, low-Gi diet combined with regular exercise will lead to weightloss. If you find it difficult to adjust to a low-fat, low-GI diet please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you apply this diet.