Posted by: Matthew Vengethasamy | 2012-11-14

Weight Loss

Good morning doctor,

I need to lose weight and improve my health.
All the diet programs that I have tried thus far have failed and my health is deteriorating rapidly.
I have been on the sure slim program but that ended up been a disaster as I gained additional weight and lost a lot of money in the process.
My psychologist has advised me to see a nutritionist. Where do I find a nutritionist in Johannesburg and what is your advice to lose weight without hurting my body?

Brief medical history

I had a major spinal operation in September 2011 (laminectomy and discectomy) as a result my neurosurgeon recommended that I lose weight so as to prevent another operation and further damages. I then joined the sure slim program and lost 25 KG’ s in 6 months however my physical and mental health started deteriorating dramatically. In February I was admitted to hospital (akeso Alberton) as I started suffering with major depression, it was later discovered that I have Bipolar depression and this was precipitated by my spinal operation and the Sure Slim diet.

Medical illnesses and medication

Bipolar depression

Epilim –  1600 mg’ s a day
Seroquel -100 mg one tablet a day
Zytomil –  10mg Stopped taking the tablet a week ago

Simvastin –  10 mg

I reside in Springs which is situated in Gauteng.

Regards, Matthew

Dear Matthew
I am indeed sorry to hear of this unfortunate sequence of events. I agree with your psychologist that you need to consult someone who can assists you with a balanced slimming diet. I would recommend that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). You should be able to find a registered dietitian in the Springs area. Dietitians are trained at university to provide diets for patients with many different medical conditions, among many other aspects of diet in health and disease. The dietitian will have to provide an individual slimming diet prescription for you that takes all your problems into account, as well as the medications you are taking and also lowers your blood cholesterol levels. Also ask your neurosurgeon who did the spinal operation if you are allowed to do exercise, and if so, what type of exercise (for example, going for walks or swimming or cycling - exercise which uses up energy without harming your back). Exercise will also help with the depression if you are permitted to do some. But please ask the neurosurgeon before you do any exercise.
The combination of the balanced diet and exercise (if permitted) should make a marked and positive difference to your life.

Why was it not mentioned that you have to go off Zytomil slowly and you can't just stop?