Question
Posted by: Lily | 2012-11-01

weight loss

Hi Doc, I''m currently breastfeeding exclusively and I have gained a lot of weight. My son is 8 months 2 weeks old. I am not eating healthy and I am always hungry and if I eat less i end up not having enough milk. Please advise i am really frustrated as I want to continue breastfeed my little boy until he is two years old and also not being so fat. i am currently wearing size 44 from 40

Lily

Dear Lily
Congratulations on the birth of your son and that you are breastfeeeding him. Because you are breastfeeding and want to continue, I would like to recommend that consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to provide you with a diet that helps you to lose weight, but does not reduce your milk supply and also does not cause any deficiencies for you and your son. You also need to become physically active, so I would suggest that you take your son for a walk very day - use a pushchair- or start skipping or join a gym. Don't overdo the exercise, but keep at it steadily to promote weightloss and tighten up slack muscles.