Question
Posted by: Nicole | 2012-06-30

weight loss

I''m a 19 year old female looking to lose weight quickly but also make a lifestyle change. what is the diet out today that you would recommend me trying? i''m lightly active &  have no health restrictions. I have about 70 pounds to lose.

Dear Nicole
To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 or more minutes a day. Start with gentle exercise and then as you lose weight, increase how much and intensively you exercise. While you are on the ‘Diet & Nutrition’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (the dangers of diet pills, slimming aids, psychological aspects of slimming, etc) by also checking out the ‘Weight Loss’ section and exploring the site.

6
Posted by: Tim Noakes | 2012-07-03

Thanks Don and Peter. Good to see that the most effective, easiest and most sustainable way to lose weight and to become healthy is finally getting the support it requires on the News24 websiite.

A study published this week in the Journal of the American Medical Association shows that a high fat/low carbohydrate diet increases the resting energy expenditure by 300kcal per day compared to the traditional high carb " healthy"  diet. This is equivalent to the amount of energy most people would expend during an hour''s exercise. And is comes gratis with this eating plan that is so demonized on this website.

The beauty of the internet is that it eventually exposes the untruths. Ultimately enough people discover what really works for them with the result that the dogmas that simply don''t work for everyone will be discarded.

Regardless of what the " experts"  in their certainty might continue blindly to advocate .

Reply to Tim Noakes
Posted by: brigitte | 2012-07-03

i''ve found that a small portion of protein(110g) and vegetables(105g) works for me. i never ever skip breakfast and i dont have lots of time so i always grab a low fat plain yoghurt and a fruit and for lunch a quick chicken salad with rooibos or green tea ( no sugar and milk) Same for supper , soup works best at night (quick fix ) and the most important part of my day is my 2L plain water. Just by doing this i lost 8kg in 3weeks :) and i have so much energy . i am now adding some light walking for 25 mins after work every evening. this has also worked for a few of my friends, who knows maybe it will work for you too

Reply to brigitte
Posted by: Peter | 2012-07-03

Can second what Don posted. I''ve lost 22kg in 3 months with no cravings or hunger (except at meal times!). Basically lots of protein, vegetables and salads but no carbs. It''s not a diet so much as a new way of living! Viva Tim Noakes.

Reply to Peter
Posted by: Don | 2012-07-03

After many years of attempting to lose weight I found a copy of a book by Gary Taubes - " why we get fat" . It was quoted by Prof Tim Noakes. Suggest you get it and read, I''ve lost 18kg in about 4 months and have a wife and friends who can report similar results. It works! its not a diet but a lifestyle change - most of your energy from protein and a small amount of (low GI) carbs,

Reply to Don
Posted by: Ellie | 2012-07-03

Hey Nicole, I am following the Dukan Diet, it''s helped me lose almost 15kg already (that''s approximatly 30 pounds I guess). It is not easy and you have to follow it to the letter but once you get into the swing of it it really isn''t that difficult either. I am a sweet fanatic and have lost my desire to eat sweets completely. It is also a complete lifestyle change and you have to give up alcohol completely during the initial phases of the diet so going out is a little difficult. But I find that when I am out on the town and not drinking I can also control that 3am stop at the 24hr McD''s. Best of luck to you!!

Reply to Ellie
Posted by: DietDoc | 2012-06-30

Dear Nicole