Question
Posted by: Wayne | 2012/02/08

Weight loss

I have recently embarked on a healthy eating and excericse plan. I own a treadmill and use it in the evenings for 33 minutes, including warm up/cool down. I''m up to burning 500 calories per session. I simply dont have time for a gym. Is excercising after dinner in the evenings a problem? I''ve also already lost 10kgs but this seems to be affecting my lower body only as my pants feel looser but my upper body doesnt seem to be shedding any weight. I''ve also got two 10kg dumbells but sometimes feel this is too heavy. i want to start using these, will they be beneficial? What would be the fastest way to shed more kilos in the next 8 weeks, I''m going on holiday then! Thanks,

Hi Wayne

No, no problem at all. Anytime you exercise is better than none. The only drawbacks of training after dinner is that you can easily get hungry again before bedtime (effectively giving yourself two dinners), and that some people can't sleep when they train that late. But if that's not happening, no problem.

The weight loss so far is good - 10kg is excellent, so I think you need to take heart from that. The lag that you're seeing in the lower body is normal - we all struggle somewhere, largely because of genes. The answer is just more time and more weight loss. I don't know what your current weight is, but let's say you've still got those 8kg to lose - you may find that 2kg will come from the upper body, the other 6 from the lower body. Also, don't forget that because you're using your legs when training, your muscle mass will be going up - give that time, it'll "plateau" and you'll start to see fat mass come down and it'll be noticeable. All in all, you're on the right track, so don't veer off it just yet. Give it another 2 to 3 months, then decide.

As for the dumbells, if you can - some bicep curls, shoulder press, bench press, upright rows (perhaps google these for pictures) will be very helpful at increasing lean mass.

2
Posted by: Lawrence Lamudi Mathebe | 2012/02/21

Good Day

My spouse is 42,weighs 84.9Kg and she is 1.5m tall.
Her BMI has rocketed with 48.8% of fat.She is
blood o+.

She is a mother of three,i am afraid of obesity and i love her too much.Any routines or programmes you can implement for her??

Worried Lawrence.

Reply to Lawrence Lamudi Mathebe
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/02/17

Hi Wayne

Reply to fitnessdoc