Question
Posted by: Mama | 2011/07/05

Weight Loss

I am 42 yrs, weight 86 and 1.71 tall. i have been trying to eat health for the past three weeks and walk 40 minutes 3 times a week but my weight still the same. I drink 1 liter of water every morning on an empty stomack, wait for 45 minutes before i eat breakfast. My breakfast will be oats and milk, lunch will be vegies and chicken or rice with chiken but small portion and supper, fish with veggies or pasta. 2 liter or water per day.

Dear Mama
Your present BMI = 29,5 which is in the overweight range, so it would be a good idea to lose some weight. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 24, you would need to weigh 70 kg, thus a loss of 16 kg. Although you may be eating healthier foods, the total energy content of your food intake may still be higher than required for weightloss. Compare your dietary intake with the energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet on this website for example (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) and make the necessary adjustments. Also increase your walking to 30 min every day and as you get fitter, start walking faster and further to stimulate your metabolism. One factor that could be hampering your weightloss is excessive water intake. If you drink those 2 litres of water in addition to other liquids (milk, tea, coffee, fruit juice, etc), then you may be overdoing your liquid intake and this can cause electrolyte imbalances that lead to water retention, so you may weigh more, even when you are losing fat tissue. Stick to having a total liquid intake of 2,5 litres per day. Also monitor your vital statistics so that you can see if you are losing cm, even when your scale does not budge.

3
Posted by: Rebecca | 2011/07/06

I really struggled to loose weight for long. Until I started eating every three hours. Snack on healthy snacks like a small portion of nuts or yogurt. If your body thinks you are trying to starve it it goes into surviival mode and it stores all the food you eat as fat. Eating every three hours makes your motabolism faster.

Reply to Rebecca

Dear Mama

Posted by: Lee | 2011/07/05

Hi Mama
I weigh 91 and am 44 yrs old.
1. Get a tape measure and record you measurements weekly as well as your weight. sometimes while exercising you lose cm but not kg immediately.
2. Add more calcium like cottage cheese and yoghurt.
3. Add 3 portions of fruit.
4. Try low GI bread, rye crackers. Pasta should not be a substitute for veggies. Try brown rice with your meals.
5. In you 40 mins walk try to run for 1 minute for every 4 minutes of walking. 5 minute warm up, 1 min slow run, 4 minute walk, 1 minute slow run and so on, Until you can run 2 mins and walk 2 mins. This really sped up my weightloss.
But you have to eat a little more or your body stores the little food you eat as fat. Eating the proper foods in the proper amounts keeps the metabolism going. It sounds contradictory but you must eat enough to lose weight.

Reply to Lee