Question
Posted by: LYNN | 2011/06/08

Weight loss

I have been trying many times to loose some weight after my baby, but to no avail. I need some advice on how to shed some kilo''s and keep it off. Im not too keen on exercising.

Dear Lynn
It is a problem that some women do tend to struggle to lose the weight they have gained during pregnancy, but if you reduce your energy intake with a sensible diet and if possible also increase your energy output by doing some form of activity, then it is possible. You basically need to change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). You mention that you are not too keen on exercising, but you could consider doing one of the following to stimulate your metabolism: going for walks, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, joining a gym or Walk for Life. The idea is to do about 30 min of physical activity a day or 60 min every second day. You don't need to join a gym, but can go for walks in your neighbourhood or buy a skipping rope and skip for 10 min three times a day when you get a chance. Don't start off trying to run a marathon. Start slowly and as you lose some weight and become more mobile, you can gradually increase how long and intensively you do your exercise. Give it a try because it really does make a difference. Research has shown that people who do exercise in addition to following an energy-reduced diet, stick to their diet more easily and lose more weight.
I hope you will now steadily lose that weight.

2
Posted by: Lee | 2011/06/08

Dont curb yourself so much that it becomes a chore. Eat sensibly. Write down what you eat for a week or two and then decide what you can cut out. A brisk walk seen as an outing for your and baby for 30 minutes each day or when possible most days should be fine. You will soon become addicted to the fresh air. Drink lots of water. Cut down on refined foods such as sugar, bread and processed meat and up your veg and fruit and lean protein. I lost lots of weight giving uo wheat and pasta completely but you dont have to do the same, just admit to what is not needed. Take your measurements today. enter it into a table, get a book to record what you eat and measure once a week at the same time of day - your waist will be narrower in the morning than in the evening.
Good luck - you can do it!

Reply to Lee

Dear Lynn