Question
Posted by: MOSEDI | 2011-05-16

WEIGHT LOSS

DEAR DOC,

I AM CURRENTLY ON DIET AND EXERCISING AND PLANNING TO LOOSE 10 KILOS, UP TO DATE I HAVE LOST 4 KILOS SINCE MARCH.I NEED ADVICE ON THE FOLLOWING: 1.SINCE MAY BECAUSE IT WAS BEGINNING OF WINTER I PREFER DRINKING HOT WATER INSTEAD OF COLD WATER BUT I HEARD IS NOT HEALTHY.2 I’ M NOW ON STRESS MEDICATION WHICH WILL NOW FORCE ME TO STOP GOING TO GYM BECAUSE I’ M ALWAYS TIRED BUT I HAVE DECIDED TO TAKE A WALK EVERY DAY OF ABOUT 5KM WILL THIS WORK OR SLOWER WEIGHT LOSS .LASTLY PLEASE ADVICE IF THIS EATING PLAN IS THE WAY TO GO: BREAKFAST: ALL BRAN &  FAT FREE MILK OR LOW FAT &  SNACK WITH BANANA OR APPLE BEFORE LUNCH, LUNCH: PEANUTBUTTER OR AVOCADO SANDWICH WITH COFFEE,WATER OR COKE LITE/TAB,SUPPER WIL HAVE LOTS OF VEGETABLES WITH RED MEAT ,FISH OR CHICKED AND RICE OR PASTA.

Dear Mosedi
Congratulations for losing those 4 kg. Drinking hot water is only potentially dangerous if you drink it at temperatures that may burn your mouth and throat. It is also not necessary to drink water when it is cold. You can drink black or rooibos tea, which would not be so cold. The idea is to have 2,5 litres of liquid per day (not more as this can cause problems). You can drink clean tap water (at any temperature), bottled water, soda water, coffee, tea, rooibos, fat-free milk, and sugar-free cold drinks to make up your liquid intake. Going for brisk walks every day for 5 km is an excellent form of exercise, so keep it up. The diet you describe should cause weightloss provided you don't eat such large portions at supper time that you exceed your energy intake for the day. Keep the portions modest. You also need another 2 servings of fat-free or low-fat milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese per day to provide enough calcium to protect you against developing brittle bones. Have a fat-free yoghurt as your midafternoon snack and eat fat-free cottage cheese as an alternative on your lunchtime sandwich (there are plenty of tasty flavours available). If you spread your food intake over the day, you should feel less tired and have enough energy for your walks.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-05-16

Dear Mosedi