Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2011/05/01

weight loss

Hi. Im 24 years old, 54 kg and 1.6 m. I would just like to know how I can lose weight in a healthy way? I exercise for 30-45min every day, mostly jogging, but have put on 3 kg and would really like to lose it as my clothes don''t fit so nicely anymore. I eat balanced meals, with enough fruit and veg, but am scared I might have a binge eating problem as I did the quiz and answered " yes"  to all the questions but 3. I don''t want to develop an obsession with food as so many of my friends are. Thank you very much, Michelle

Dear Michelle
Your current BMI = 21, which is already below the ideal of 22 for an adult woman. So there is no reason to try and lose weight. When you weighed 51 kg, your BMI = 19,9 which is already tending towards anorexia. It is, therefore, essential that you do not try losing more weight as this will tip you towards an eating disorder. If you did answer 'Yes' to all the questions, but No 3, on the quiz, then you are probably at risk of developing eating disorders. You are already displaying some of the classical signs, such as wanting to lose weight although you are close to underweight, exercising a great deal and realising that there may be an eating disorder problem looming. If you require help for an eating disorder please consider consulting a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za
Go for expert help before you ruin your life and do become obsessed with food and not eating.
Take care

2
Posted by: Michelle | 2011/05/03

Dear Diet Doc,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was not aware of the fact that a BMI of 19.9 is regarded as unhealthy as they always told us in school that a BMI of 20-25 is healthy. But hank you very much for you feedback and guidance.

Kind regards,

Michelle

Reply to Michelle

Dear Michelle
Take care