Question
Posted by: Ivy | 2010-08-18

Weight loss

I am 29 and have been more active the last 18 months than ever before in my life. I try to jog 4 times a week (as a beginner it''s only about 3.2km &  I attend 3-4 conditioning/bums &  tummy classes).

I have restricted my diet, used fat burners, cut out carbs, followed healthy 6meal eating plans but I can not get the weight off. I am 1.88m and want to lose about 8kg''''s. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Ivy

How much do you currently weigh? It might be that you don't have weight to lose? The BMI measure often gets used to predict what people should weigh, but if you take the lower end of that spectrum, a BMI of 21, that's often not possible for many people, and they should rather aim for 24. This could easily be 5 to 6 kg difference.

Just out of curiosity, when you say you've been active for 18 months, does that cover the entire period of jogging, or is that a new period? Because if you've been running for 18 months, then you're not a beginner anymore, and I'd have to wonder whether you've improved your fitness.

I always suggest that you should aim to improve fitness, and not worry about weight, because people who get fit get healthier naturally, so that should be the focus. Therefore, I'd suggest you look at building the length or the time spent jogging and maybe also the intensity of the classes.

Finally, diet is really vital and cutting out carbs is likely to slow down weight loss because your body needs a certain amount of energy, not none. Eating too little causes us to use less, and the result is that we often don't lose weight, when adding more food to the diet would help us lose more. So you might look at seeing a dietician about this.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-08-21

Hi Ivy

Reply to fitnessdoc