Question
Posted by: R | 2010/02/04

Weight Loss

Hi Doc,
You are quite passionate about spreading the message that diet pills and certain diet programmes are not the healthy way to losing weight and can cause more harm in the long-term. I, for one, am glad I checked in some of the questions, as they are very truthful and informative. It is sad, in these times where most people are desperate to lose weight, that others take advantage of this, an easy way to make big bucks.
There must be a way to make the public more aware of the hidden dangers, and the fact that they are being taken advantage off rather than helped?

Dear R
It is not only sad, but highly irresponsible that organisations, manufacturers and individuals exploit the many people who are overweight and obese. Of course everyone wants a quick fix, so this makes most people suffering from obesity an easy target for exploitation. Sell them a dream and make a quick buck. It is also most frustrating that there are so many loopholes in our legislation that permit advertising of potentially dangerous products. Hopefully one day we will have checks and balances in place to prevent this.

3
Posted by: R | 2010/02/04

Hi C, Yes I agree with you - enforce the idea of proper eating and exercise in a positive way.
I also believe wieghtloss can be gained from simply eating right and exercising.

Reply to R
Posted by: C | 2010/02/04

Hi, R

I' m a dietitian myself and I agree 100% with DietDoc. No potions or pills are needed for weight loss.

I' ve always believed to live by example, and because I' ve maintained my healthy weight for 4 years now, it has inspired my boyfriend to also begin to diet and eat healthy until he has reached his ideal body weight. And you know how sensitive men are about weight issues :)

So, Diet Doc, I' m sure a lot of dietitians will also back you up in the fact that the only way to loose successful sustainable weight is reduced kJ balanced diet and exercise.

So R' s question on how to make people aware of the side effects: I think dietitians and people who has lost successfully healthy weight, must promote THAT fact, instead of always focusing on the negative side effects of slimming pills. People are more prone to follow / do something positive that works than getting confused with negative stuff that doesn' t work.

So dietitian colleagues - GET INTERACTIVE!!!

C

Reply to C

Dear R