Posted by: Marco | 2009-09-25

Dear Doc

I have recently been changing my way of life in terms of eating, in the hopes that it' ll help me to loose weight and keep it off. A colleague of mine at work suggested that i drink hot water to loose weight.Is this true?
i know there is some merit in drinking hot water alleviating constipation,but what makes warm water different from cold water in weight-loss?
It was also suggested to me that the yeast in bread is fattening.I' m not sure i believe this but ' Apparently'  the yeast makes one swell up.Please kindly shed some light on these matters.

thanks doc

Dear Marco
I am pleased to hear that you are making changes in your eating habits. There is no difference between drinking hot or cold water and although drinking some water every day is a good habit, it will not have a significant effect on weightloss. Yeast is certainly not fattening and the type of bloating that some people experience when they eat products that contain yeast, will not affect their weight. So drink moderate quantities of water (don't exceed a LIQUID intake of 2,5 litres per day in total) and eat high-fibre bread even if it is baked with yeast, Unless you are specifically allergic to yeast or suffer from irritable bowel syndrome that sometimes reacts to yeast.