Posted by: Anonomazz | 2009-07-15

Weight loss

I am HIV positive, and I have been a size 34 or 32 now I have dropped 2 jean size. I am on ARV' s and my CD4 is 925 and VL undetectable. Have been to GP who said I am healthy. My BMI is 26 coz I weigh 58 and I am 1.5m. I know my body.
I have a baby and he is 22 months, negative. I am stressing now.
Can you advice.

Dear Anonomazz
If possible I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because it is important that you should not be losing weight as this can depress your immunity. The dietitian will have to work out a diet prescription for your that takes your condition, the weightloss and type of ARVs into account when working out the correct diet for you. Please don't stress, because this can put more strain on your body. You can also contact the SA Sugar Association to obtain their Booklet on 'Food Choices for People Living with HIV' from The Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: for excellent information on diets for HIV.

Posted by: Shell | 2009-07-16

I am 30 yrs old and struggling to gain weight. I currently weight 42kg and my height is 1.6 meters tall. 3 years ago i was successful in going from a size 26 to a size 32. Stress and an unhappy life has brougth me back to a size 26. I don' t have a big appetite so i would like to know what i can do to put on weight quickly and safely.

Reply to Shell