Question
Posted by: PAMMY | 2009/02/09

weight loss

I HAVE GONE FOR A FULL CHECK UP WITH MY DOCTOR,
WHO TOOK SOME BLOOD TEST, AND WAS DISCOVERED THAT I AM MORBIDLY OBESE, MY WEIGHT IS 120KG MY HEIGHT IS 1.61 CM, THE BLD RESULTS SHOWED MY BP TO BE 140 OVER 100 AND MY ISULINE LEVELS RAISED 22 HIGH , CHOL 5.5 , LDL 4.1, HDL 1, MY QUESTION IS THE DOCTOR PRESCRIBED XENIICAL TABLETS TO HELP ME LOOSE THE WEIGHT AND METPHARMIN TABLETS, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THESE TABLETS WILL
ASSIST ME IN LOSING THE WEIGHT RAPIDLY. PLS ASSIST
THANX PAM

Dear Pammy
You are indeed very obese with a BMI of 46,3. The Xenical the dr has prescribed will assist with weightloss because it prevents you from absorbing fat from your diet. You do, however, need to use it together with a very-low-fat diet to achieve success. Because of all your medical conditions I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to assist you with the very-low-fat diet. The Metpharmin tablets will help to regularise your blood sugar and insulin levels which may also contribute to weightloss. If you find that you are not losing weight with these regimens then I would recommend that you contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: jana@pharmacallcc.com or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at www.netcare.co.za to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose. If you do start losing weight, you will find that most of your symptoms will improve.