Posted by: jules | 2008-12-18

weight loss

Dear Doc

i am trying to lose weight, and therefore have my supper, before 7, but i wake up in the morning feeling very hungry. Most diets suggest cereal with skim milk, or 2 slices toast with a boiled egg. This makes me even hungrier. Any other suggestions. Please help

Dear Jules
If standard breakfasts make you even hungrier, you may need to eat low-glycaemic index foods to keep you blood sugar and insulin levels steady. Try having cereals with a low-GI such as Maximize, wholewheat Pronutro, Hi-fibre bran or shredded bran, low-GI muesli, or Fruitful All Bran flakes, with skim or fat-free milk or yoghurt, and eat low-GI breads or seedbread or 100% rye bread with your boiled egg. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.