Question
Posted by: joe | 2008/06/03

weight loss

hi doc
i need to know if possible.
i'm 30 and walk 3 km's a day to work.
eat oats in the morning. it just seems to me that i'm not losing weight effective as i need to be doing. can you help out with something i can do/eat or ivoid taking that i could loose more.
i try not to eat lots during the day, but i think that i need to substitude bread with something else.
i don't want to take subliments and would have something natural if possible.
with my long day i need something that would give me the energy to last easily till 19h00.
please help out
johan

Hi Joe

I think this is a question for the dietician more than it is for me, and so if you can, look at submitting it there. I will say that one thing you need to be mindful of is that you're probably not eating frequently enough during the course of the day, and that may explain why you lose energy at the end of the day.

In terms of exercise, I'd say that if you're walking 30 minutes a day, you're doing the right amount as recommended by most organizations for health. For weight loss, you might need to look at a little more than this though, and so perhaps a detour on the way home will help you achieve some weight loss. The key is the balance between energy in (diet) and energy out (exercise) and if you're struggling to lose weight, then it means you have to alter either energy in (reduce intake, which you would speak with a dietician about), or energy out (hopefully, increase exercise)