Question
Posted by: Bubu | 2013-01-15

weight increase

Hi Doc,

Thank u so much for your promt responses.

Im tracking my weekly progress @ gym. In the last 2 weeks, ive lost the body fat from 27.5kg to 25.7kg and my muscle mass is on track which was 25.1kg now 26.5kg according to my BMI. Now what i dont understand is that my body weight has increased from 72kg to 73kg. Has the increase in my weight caused by the increase in the muscle mass? my goal is to drop my weight to 63kg to be in the healthy range of the BMI. Ive also started on healthy diet.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,
Bubu

Dear Bubu
It is a pleasure. Congratulations on losing nearly 2 kg of body fat and building 1.4 kg of muscle tissue - Well done! The fact that your body weight or mass has increased by 1 kg, is indeed a reflection of the gain in muscle tissue because muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue! You have proof that your body fat % is decreasing, so do not be discouraged by your weight going up slightly instead of coming down. Discuss the use of slightly more cardio exercise with your trainer to promote weightloss, but keep up the good work and you will see the weight reducing.