Question
Posted by: Jade | 2011-06-13

Weight ganining?

Hey, Well I''m sixteen and I''ve been trying.to gain weight for years..
I haven''t been successful though :/ I''ve done tons of research about it and tried a milkshake formular but that didn''t work either!
I was wondering if you had any good advice? If you could get back to me that would be really helpful! :-)

Dear Jade
If your metabolism is very fast, then it may be a good idea to have your gp check your thyroid function as an overactive thyroid can cause pronounced weight loss and prevent weight gain. Gaining weight is just as problematic as trying to lose it. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. Many people make the mistake of thinking that they need only take the liquid meals and then skip their regular meals. This won't help you gain weight, but if you eat your regular meals and use the shakes, then you will gain weight. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement. But you need to ensure that your total energy intake is increased to at least 2500 kcal or 10500 kJ per day.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-06-14

Dear Jade