Question
Posted by: Cherise | 2010/07/05

Weight gain/PCOS

Good day,

I am 24years old, weigh 73.2 and 1.62m tall. I have PCOS but do walk for 40minutes a day, 5 times a week. I have lost 5.5kg in 54 days. I eat between 4000kilojoules and 5000kilojoules per day.

Problem is I am sometimes gaining weight and definitely not losing. My question is may I be eating to little to lose? What would you recommend the ideal kilojoule intake per day should be?

Dear Cherise
Your present BMI = 27,9 which is above the upper level of normal. It is excellent that you are walking for 5 days a week for 40 min/day. Your weightloss is good, because we generally recommend that patients should try to lose about 500 g-1 kg per week, whereas you have been losing 0,7 kg per week. Fluctuations in body weight can be caused by changes in hormone levels and water retention, so disregard the day-to-day variations and only weigh yourself once a week. Generally speaking even patients who are trying to lose weight, should have at least 6300 kJ per day, so your energy intake may well be too low. If you have PCOS you should be using a low Glycaemic Index (GI) diet because most patients with PCOS also suffer from insulin resistance. If you have Not consulted a dietitian for help with a low-GI diet, please do see a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Also Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI.
Keep up the good work with the exercise and do contact a dietitian.

1

Dear Cherise