Question
Posted by: KV | 2010/07/27

Weight gain/loss quandry

Hi there. I am a 26 year old female. I am 153cm tall and now weigh 44kg. Last September (when i weighed a mere 38kg) i began exercising, with the aim of getting fit and gaining a bit of weight and looking healthier. The more i worked out the more hungry i got during the day. So, needless to say, i DID gain weight but not entirely healthily. I stopped going to gym in March this year because of issues with my back (muscle spasms) and since then I have gained steadily up to the weight I am now. Now i realize that 44kg for my frame/height is " good"  (I am finally a normal BMI) but the problem is my tummy - it looks flabby and huge - cos thats where i gained most of my weight - I want to lose that tummy but not all the curves in all the other places - is that even possible? How ironinc that the first place a person gains fat is the last place they lose it. Should i diet? Focus exercises on my tummy? Do intense cardio??? I need to lose this tummy... Please suggest a course of action. Thank you.

Dear KV
Your present BMI = 18,8 which is actually still quite far below the ideal of 22 (for which you would need to weigh 51 kg (I can hear you gasping!)), so please do not trying dieting to lose more weight. If your tummy muscles are slack then I would recommend that you consult a biokineticist for the correct exercises to tighten the muscles that will reduce the bulge. It is important that you do the correct exercises because of your back problems, which is why it is a good idea to consult a biokineticist.

1

Dear KV