Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2011-10-12

weight gain, what else?

Dear Diet Doc, I have been reading quite a bit about weight gain and gal bladders or disfunctional gal bladders. I am due for a gal bladder operation in 2 months'' time and were hoping that the discfuctional gal bladder is part of my weight problems, now I read on the forums that more weight gain is a rather great possibility after the op. Needless to say, this is bad news! I have successfully lost weight on 2 separate occassions, once with a high proteien diet and once with the Slender Wonder diet, and could keep my weight both times for more or less a year to 18 months, but after that it just gradually crept back and more than ever before. I am now really " moedeloos" , since nothing I try work nor do I have any will power to stick to any of the ones that worked before. Even eating relatively balanced meals, with few deviations over lengthy periods did not work and then I loose interest. Since the beginning of the year I have been going to the doctor to try and sort out any medical reasons. But no success yet and nothing other than the gal bladder really wrong in that department either.
Any advise from your side?
regards

Dear Sandy
I hope that your gallbladder operation will be a great success and that you will then be free of symptoms. In regard to weight gain after a gallbladder op, it is not an inevitable consequence because all that happens is that the storage sack in which gall is stored is removed. You will still produce gall which is required for digestion, but instead of being stored in the gallbladder, the gall will now be emptied directly into the digestive tract. If you are despondent because none of the diets you have used so far, including a high-protein diet and the Slender Wonder regimen, have resulted in permanent weightloss, then I can only suggest that you consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for you that promotes weightloss and also helps you through the post-operative period.

3
Posted by: Sandy | 2011-10-13

Thank you very much for your response, my logic also tells me that a dietician is maybe the answer, it is just that my experience with the ones in my area are not as possitive, since they tend to prescribe exact same diets for people who are differing widely from one another. I have been to one and the diet she prescribed were to the letter exactly the same as the one for my sister, who at that point weighed about 30kg more than me and my colleague who were about the same weight than me but was suffering from severe diabetes.
But thank you nonetheless, I will consider it seriously and see who else I can visit for advise.

kind regards

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: Sandy | 2011-10-12

I forgot to mention that during the last weight gaining spree, which stretched over the last 30 months, I have changed jobs and found everything around that rather stressful, actually extremely stressful. What is your take on the stress hormone cortisol and weight gain. How can one rectify or even test that?

Reply to Sandy
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-12

Dear Sandy