Question
Posted by: LC | 2009-02-23

WEIGHT GAIN ON MICROVAL???

My baby are 18 months old, I am still breastfeeding, and also have an under active thyroid. I use Diotroxin and knows that I must give it time before it helps. I just want to know if maybe the Microval contraceptive can also have an effect on my weight gaining. Please I need help, I am getting depressed over this. Never ever was I this fat as I am now. Thank you.

Dear LC
Any female hormone therapy can either cause weight gain or loss depending on the patient's individual reaction. So if you find that using the Microval contraceptive is increasing your weight then please discuss this with the dr prescribing your contraceptive. He/she may be able to suggest another type of contraceptive that does not cause this type of weight gain. When your Diotroxin has stabilised your thyroid hormone levels you should be able to start losing weight, esp if you combine it with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min a day.