Posted by: Jay | 2009-04-07

Weight Gain - H-pylori

Can Helicobacter-pylori cause weight gain? I had terrible stomach pains and was blooted - I picked up 7kg in two weeks. The doctor did some tests and found that I have H-pylori. I have been trying to loose the 7kg for some time now but nothing helps. I am still very bloated and still have stomach cramps I have purchased Probiflora to see if that would help.

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Jay
Sorry about the delay in response. Has the Probiflora helped you?
No, I do not believe that an H.Pylori infection will result in a gain of 7kg. Some bloating and gas may cause a slight gain, but not that much. Unfortunately you will have to re-examine your diet. I hope the cramps and bloating are better.