Question
Posted by: Nina | 2010/09/05

Weight gain from anti-depressant

Hi ,
I''ve just been prescribed Trepiline as I have insomnia and I read somewhere that I can gain weight from this anti depressant. Is this true?

Dear Nina
The problem with most antidepressants such as Trepiline is that they list both weight gain and weightloss as side-effects - this is an individual reaction that varies with how the patient reacts. So one cannot predict if the Trepiline will cause weight gain or not in your case. If you make sure that you are eating a balanced diet that is not high in fat and start doing regular daily exercise like going for brisk walks in the fresh air, you should be able to combat any weight gain. By doing the daily exercise, you will also be doing something positive to relax which may improve your sleeping patterns.

1

Dear Nina