Question
Posted by: Dean | 2010/01/22

Weight gain for vegatarian

I am a vegatarian for 14 years now and have been trying to gain weight. I started eating eggs at some point - that didnt help. My height is 1.84m and weight is 62kg.. Can you tell me what supplements I can take for weight gain? Also have started gymming with a trainer - can you recommend something for increasing energy levels. One the trainers there recommended something to take which boost insulin levels - but not sure if that is healthy..

Dear Dean
Your present BMI of 18,3 is far too low and you should try to gain at least 8-9 kg to have a normal BMI. You don't mention if you still use milk and dairy products in your vegetarian diet? If you do then you can make your own high-energy supplements such as a smoothie made with 1-1,5 glass(es) of full cream milk plus 2 fruits, 1 tablespoon of honey, 3-4 tablespoons of additional milk powder, and 1-2 tablespoons of wheat germ. Have a glass of this mixture 3 times a day and you should start gaining weight. Dried fruit, seeds and nuts are also high-energy foods that you should be able to eat. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by having smoothies IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. Rather avoid these supplements that are available at gyms because they can cause side-effects and cost a lot of money. Stick to normal food and do plenty of exercises with weights (not much cardio) to build muscle tissue.
Hope you start gaining now

1

Dear Dean
Hope you start gaining now