Posted by: Mickey | 2009-02-25

Weight gain for no apparent reason

hi. I am a 35 year old female who has gained substantial weight in the last year for no apparent reason. I do not eat large amounts, and in actual fact am eating more healthily as I have high cholesterol. What could be the cause and what can I do to kick-start weight-loss?

Dear Mickey
There are a variety of factors that can cause weight gain: 1) hormonal imbalances (thyroid, insulin, female hormones), 2) Depression, 3) Lack of exercise 4) medications including hormone therapies, etc. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Despite the fact that you are eating healthy food to reduce your cholesterol intake, you may be ingesting more energy than you require if you are not physically active. If doing exercise for at least 30 min a day and an energy-reduced diet do not produce weightloss of about 0,5 to 1 kg per week, then it may be a good idea to have your hormone levels tested by a medical dr or physician.
Hope you start losing

Posted by: Angie | 2009-02-25

Horemones can do very strange things, and in some cases it might just be stress. I would suggest having your adrenal horemones tested, ie cortisol, as high cholesterol can be caused by high cortisol and high insulin levels. Test fasting insulin blood levels and blood glucose levels too. May be a good start.

Reply to Angie