Posted by: lala | 2009-03-11

weight gain - even when eating healthy

Hi All

I' ve reached the end of the line...I am depressed and today for the first time in my life i had suicidal thoughts. This has scared me great deal. I was a perfect 34 kg, tall and slim and very attractive. I have nerver in my life had weight problems. I moved to the UK and did not excercise like i used to and ate choccolates and junk.

Now i have lost my figure. I have gained 10 Kg and am totally disfigured. I have a visibly big tummy, big thighs, big bums..I have started going back to my old ways. I do gym every day. I jog and eat healthy. But nothing has changed. Infact i look bigger!! Its been 2 weeks and i dont see any difference, not even a slight change. I keep a food diary, i eat lots of fruit 3 - 5 a day, a eat alot of veg, and protein. For breakfast i have cereal, allbran, lunch have 2 slices of brown bread, beans, 1 poached egg,lettuice. Dinner i have broccoli, boiled/steams chicken breast or lentils.

I have had no chiccolates, biscuits, sweetsor junk since i strated my 21 day challenge..

I am demoralised and very sad!! How can i get out of this depression? How long should i wait before i see change? Should i increase my gym time to an hour of gym plus jogging plus stepping at home? I really need to change the state that i' m in..because i fear these negative thoughts (suicidal) might come back.

Please advise..

Dear Lala
It is possible that your depression is causing your weight gain and making it hard to lose weight. Depression is well know for its potential to cause pronounced weight gain. So you need to ask yourself if there are other factors in your life besides the weight gain that are making you depressed (personal problems, emotional problems, homesickness, etc). If you have such problems you need to get some professional help from a clinical psychologist who will help you to come to grips with them and if necessary, refer you to a psychiatrist if you require medication. I don't know how this works in the UK, but you must be able to get some assistance either from a private psychologist or someone on the NHS. Until you address the depression you may find that your attempts to lose weight do not produce results. Your diet sounds reasonable (it just needs the addition of 2-3 servings of fat-free milk or yoghurt) and should cause weightloss. Make sure that your exercise regimen concentrates on cardio or aerobic exercise (jogging, cycling, brisk walking, skipping) so that you use more energy. However if you originally weighed 34 kg (can this be correct?) then you may also be suffering from an eating disorder which once again requires assistance from a psychiatrist or psychologist.
So please get that help ASAP before you ruin your entire life
Holding thumbs for you

Posted by: lala | 2009-03-11

Thanks all, iDietdoc that was size 34..Sorry for the confusion.

I will contingue working hard at this and gaining my confidence back... It is very hard. I will never ever allow myself to get out of shape again..never..

Now i knowhow those poor chubby people must be feling everyday of their lives. I use to be harsh before this experience, since i had never before experienced weight gain ad weight problems. But now i have learnt a humbling lesson.

Reply to lala
Posted by: AFB | 2009-03-11

Don' t worry about it yet. I felt the same way a few weeks back, were on the same route you were on. Things only started to change around week 6. Start seeing the perfect 34 in the mirror again and you will see the kilo' s melt away, another thing, listen to your body it will tell you exactly what he needs.

Reply to AFB