Question
Posted by: Ruth | 2010/02/10

Weight gain eating plan

Hi, I' d like to go on the weight-gain eating plan prescribed on the website but as I have IBS I don' t drink milk and I avoid foods that are harder to digest. What would be good substitutes and would the diet plan then be as intensive?

Dear Ruth
I presume you are referring to the articles about how to gain weight which you can access by clicking on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining'? Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements which are lactose free (e.g. Nutren 1.0 or Peptamen), which are specifically designed for patients with digestive problems who need to avoid milk. You can purchase these liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal (while using the foods you normally eat with your IBS), or by taking the above mentioned supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1

Dear Ruth