Posted by: Ellen Again | 2009-09-10

Weight gain comments

Sorry to repost this again I can' t see the comments Please help I' m 1.72m tall amd weigh 52kg. I have always weighed betwwen 51-53, even after having my child 2 years ago I havent really gained more weight. I suffer from SLE and I always have a big appetite. Why am I not gaining weight. Am I under weight.

Dear Ellen
Here is the reply I posed on 9 Sept 2009 for you:
Your present BMI = 17,6 which is indeed in the underweight range. To have an ideal BMI of 22 you should weigh at least 65 kg. Because of your SLE which may be affecting your digestion, I would like to urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to determine what you are eating and how you can increase your energy intake even more so that you can gain some weight.
Please contact a dietitian as soon as possible.