Question
Posted by: Inacin | 2011/09/14

Weight gain campaign incredibly uncomfortable

I am a 37 yr old woman with one child and have decided to put on some wieght. I have always been slender and athletic due to excellent discipline with gym and diet. While I have managed to put on 3kg, it has taken 2 full months of constant overeating and total abandonment of gym, both of which felt very unnatural to me as I favour the healthy lifestyle. But I did eventually hit 57kg, up from the starter weight of 54kg. I had my mind set on 58kg but seemed to hit a plateau at 57 so I left it at that.

However I then felt I should go back to the gym for some light training so that I don''t lose tone. I only ever do weights, have never been a cardio person - it whittled me down to 52kg during the one week I tried it years ago (spinning). So anyway after I hit my recent 57kg I went back to the gym for 2 days and almost immediately lost 500g. How do I keep my weight at 57kg while not having to abandon exercise altogether? To put the 500g back on, I stopped gym again and I again overate for several days, yet it took a full week to come back on.

I am frustrated - how can I keep my weight at 57kg, yet be healthy, and most of all not have to be such a glutton? I really am having to eat to the point of stomach distention. I''ve been eating stuff like oats with milk and honey and I''ve also been eating snacks in between the three full heavy meals a day. I''ve also incorporated previous no-nos like cream cheese at 32% fat, full cream milk, heavy desserts, etc. At all meals without exception, I deliberately have double portions. All of this has served the purpose of helping me hit 57kg but at the terrible price of awful stomach distention, daytime sluggishness and constant bloating and indigestion. How can it be so hard just to be a normal weight? For my height I need to be at least 57kg. Pls help thanks. The overeating is just too painful. I have bought Ensure drink to give me added calories between meals but because I feel full all of the time, have not even opened the tin. By the way I still eat healthy things like tuna, vegetables, seeds and grains etc. It''s not that I have eliminated my previous diet, I have just added extremely fatty, calorie-rich foods to it. All to great discomfort.

Dear Inacin
I hear what you say and can imagine that it must be most uncomfortable and frustrating to eat and eat and not manage to gain weight and keep it on. I would recommend that you do open that tin of Ensure and use it IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals). If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement, like Ensure. This should also eliminate the need to eat high-fat foods which are not healthy. I would also suggest that you have your thyroid tested just to make sure that you are not suffering from an overactive thyroid which can hamper weightloss.

1

Dear Inacin